Our pediatric dentists and team may recommend that your child get a silver diamine fluoride treatment in Bluffton, South Carolina, to improve their oral health. Silver diamine fluoride is an FDA-approved antibiotic liquid that controls and halts dental cavities and can prevent the progression of tooth decay. It is also good for children who have hypersensitive teeth.
This treatment uses two active ingredients, silver and fluoride. Silver is antimicrobial and strengthens the protective layer of the teeth. Fluoride helps to halt tooth decay and can prevent further damage from occurring in your smile.
Drs. Shane Harpham and Katherine Bell may recommend that your child receive this treatment if they have any of the following conditions:
• Severe childhood cavities
• Difficulty cooperating with treatments
• Special needs
• Carious lesions that cannot be treated in one visit
Benefits of silver diamine fluoride treatment include:
• Quick, painless and non-invasive treatment
• Minimizes dental restorations that would be needed later
• Eliminates harmful pathogens
• Prevents additional cavities
• Reduced tooth sensitivity
• Hardening of dentist
• Stain-free treatment
If your child needs this treatment, our pediatric dentists and team will make sure he or she is comfortable throughout the procedure. Call Sea Smiles Pediatric Dentistry at 843-815-5437 if you have any questions about this treatment, including its benefits and if it is the right choice for your child’s smile.